Hereville is written and drawn by Barry Deutsch. In the webcomic, the colors are by Barry; in the graphic novel, the colors are by Jake Richmond, although Barry helped. Jake also took the photo of Barry up there.
Twelve facts about Barry Deutsch!
- Born in New York, and has lived in New York, Connecticut, Ohio and Massachusetts, before coming to a stop in Portland, Oregon.
- Attended Oberlin College, The School of Visual Arts in NYC, and finally Portland State University.
- While at SVA, took classes from Will Eisner.
- Never attended UMass, but did a daily comic strip in the UMass student newspaper, called “Cast of Thousands.”
- Keeps a small herd of pigs in his drawing area.
- Draws on a Cintiq, using Photoshop.
- Lives in a bright blue house with pink trim, which he shares with six other adults, two small children, three cats and an unknown number of fish.
- Is on Twitter.
- His favorite TV show is a Canadian comedy called “Slings and Arrows.”
- He listens to musicals. A lot. I mean, really a lot. Freakishly a lot. Especially musicals by Stephen Sondheim.
- Works in front of five nearly floor-to-ceiling windows. When pedestrians stop to peer at him, he waves happily at them.
- Nearly always stands up while drawing “Hereville.”